In this article Neeru describes and provides a set of resources to help teachers deliver lessons on the theme of green education. You can download the Project Plan and OneNote Notebook using the buttons below.
It is a fact that we as educators today, are faced with innumerable challenges while grooming the child of the present world. They are smart, focused and tech savvy. The children of today are the decision makers of tomorrow. So the onus lies on us to make them aware of not only their educational horizons but also to groom them to be future ready and tap their enormous creative potential to achieve sustainability.
Climate change is one of the biggest challenges facing the world today. The education sector has a key role to play in addressing this challenge. Education is critical to achieving the transition to a low carbon economy and society. Teaching and learning are crucial to inspire and educate the next generation of decision makers, business leaders and citizens, and equip them with the skills and knowledge to deal with the challenges of climate change. It is time to inculcate green education habits in students to achieve sustainable Development.
Green Education basically means applying real world learning models that connect science, technology, Engineering arts and math(STEAM) with broader human concerns of environmental well being and sustainability.
At the end of this project:
- Students will be encouraged to inculcate green practices in the school like saving power, judicial use of water and reusing paper.
- Students will be encouraged to advocate responsible consumption of energy and energy sustainability.
- Students will and suggest ways and means to be adopted to ensure energy efficient classrooms.
- Students will also think of innovative ways of segregating waste with a futuristic vision.
- Students will adopt and advocate green means of transport.
- Students will learn through the Global Collaboration, how their peers across the world are tackling the problem in their countries.
- Students through development of 21st century skills of collaboration, critical thinking, creativity and communication will be globally competent and future ready.
- Students will learn to embed appropriate use of technology to enhance learning.
To apprise students of sustainability as an important aspect of our life, we should introduce the concept of Green Education in school using the Project based learning approach. I have designed several activities and competitions for students of grades 6-12.
The competitions are designed to encompass the various issues that need to be addressed like Energy wastage, waste segregation, Eco-Fuels, green travel habits, pollution, and water sustainability, many of these are designed to inculcate technology to enhance students understanding.
For Global collaborations, this activities/competition can be implemented according to the local school policies and time. They can then be shared through Skype with other countries on an agreed time and date.
Target Group: Students of grade 6-12
Beneficiaries: Students(school) apart from global collaborators
A very interesting angle would be to include them as a part of cultural exchange programmes. This will help to promote cross cultural approach to the concept and advocate Global competence among the participants.